Use Our Services
Social Distancing Policies
In order to minimize COVID-19 spread, the BIC Facility is implementing the following temporary policies for using the lab
- Full capacity allowed. The maximum occupancy of the BIC is 12 people.
- Face masks optional for vaccinated persons working alone.
- Face masks required during training.
- Physical distancing should be utilized when possible, but can be reduced to 3 ft as necessary.
- Instrument reservation (AKTA, ITC, CD, ultracentrifuges) will now be done via a common Google calendar.
- Use good lab hygiene: wear gloves as required, wash hands often.
- In-person use by external personnel is now permitted.
- If you are experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms, do not enter the BIC Facility.
Staff assistance is available for data acquisition as well as for consultation in experimental design, sample preparation, and data analysis. Researchers interested in using the facility instrumentation or needing staff assistance should contact Giselle Jacobson. Please indicate the instrument of interest and provide a short summary of the experiment to be performed.
All users must be trained by facility staff prior to unassisted use of the equipment.
After completing training, users are able to reserve equipment (CD, ITC, AKTA, AUC, robots, ultracentrifuges) via a Google calendar. When scheduling time on equipment, it is important to estimate the correct amount of time needed for the reservation.
In addition to the online reservations, the facility maintains physical log books for each instrument. Users must sign in every time they use a piece of equipment. Failure to do so may result in loss of BIC Facility access. Instruments typically used for time periods shorter than 30 minutes (Azure, Avanti centrifuge, Typhoon phosphorimager) do not have online reservations and use of these instruments are billed from the sign-in sheets.
The BIC Facility has 24 hour swipe card access. Researchers requesting access to the facility should complete the access form and email it to Giselle. Swipe card access to the facility will be granted after completion of training.
The facility welcomes users from other academic institutions and industry. Please contact Giselle for more information.
All users should acknowledge the facility in publications that involve the use of BIC Facility instrumentation. Acknowledgments in publications are a key indicator to Notre Dame Research of facility usefulness and success. Please use the following statement to acknowledge the facility in your publications:
We thank the Biophysics Instrumentation Core Facility for use of the <<insert instrument(s)>>.